I know they say one is the loneliest number, but the next time you are alone try out one of these solo play board games. Some of the games on this list are co-ops or variants, official and fan-made. But as long as the solo game experience is fun and worthwhile, I have considered it for this list. Again, if I have not played a game but heard good things about it, it will be listed with the honorable mentions that just didn’t quite make the cut.
Here are my top ten solo play board games:
10. Agricola – How high can you score? If that doesn’t interest you, then played solo neither will Agricola.
9. Pizza Box Football – The solo game is fun but can be a little repetitive.
8. 51st State – Another solo game where you are trying to get a high score. This one moves quick and is pretty tactical.
7. Pandemic – Can you save the world by yourself? Still tense, but is still better with others.
6. Race for the Galaxy – The robot in the solo game seems a bit random. And after playing on the computer against the AI, I doubt I will try this again.
5. World of Warcraft: the Board Game – Still a long game solo, but the fun aspects of leveling up and killing monsters is there. Both the official and a couple fan-made variants are enjoyable.
4. Castle Panic – Tough to win but still a fun tower defense game.
3. Wrath of Ashardalon – Challenging but not too overwhelming, this dungeon crawl has a good balance of the two.
2. Space Hulk: Death Angel – This deadly card game is fun and you will need some luck to win it alone.
1. Thunderstone – Playing this with the official solo rules is not only a good time, it will help you learn how best to play when you are playing it against your friends. There are different difficulty levels and if you add the expansions the replayability goes through the roof.
Red November, Blokus , Battle Star Galactica
As always feel free to tell me your Top Ten, add suggestions or berate my choices in the comments section.