This was another year full of playing board games. I am lucky to get to play the amount of board games that I do. The following list highlights the best board games I played for the first time in 2013. Not all of them were published in 2013 but that is when I got to play them.
The top 10 games I was introduced to in 2013:
10. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game – This is fun cooperative card game that plays really well solitaire. You develop characters and gain loot as they adventure. It would be higher but the adventures in the base game seem repetitive.
9. Morels – This is a great two-player game about picking and cooking mushrooms. You must collect sets of mushrooms with different rarities and value. Then you cook them to score VPs and win.
8. Keyflower – This is a pretty complicated game, but I like the unique bidding mechanic. It takes a play or two to get a handle on, but if you can endure the learning curve, this board game is worth trying.
7. Bugs in the Kitchen – This is an excellent game for kids and grown ups alike. There is not a ton to the game. It is simple, random and a lot of fun. Try it, you’ll be yelling at the bug to head your way in no time.
6. Goa – This is another auction game that I really enjoyed. You decide what gets auctioned and profit when others buy your items. But you must balance what you want to buy and what you want to sell to get ahead.
5. PitchCar – In this racing game you flick your wooden disc around the track. It is that simple and fun! Anyone can play and there are plenty of expansions to add to this too. The set up time and space keep this from going any higher on the list.
4. Love Letter – This is a fast-playing card game that is fun for gamers and non-gamers. Easy to teach and super portable, this light game makes a great start of finish to your game night. Be aware though, it doesn’t play as well with two players.
3. Dreadball – If you enjoy sports and board games, you should try out this game. It is full of non-stop action as you roll dice to see if you can complete a rush and score. There are several teams that all play differently.
2. Cyclades – This game has an excellent role-selection auction combined with area control and fighting. It all combines common mechanics from Eurogames with those from war games into a great experience.
1. Mage Knight – This is a game that I was continually asked to add to different Top Ten lists. Now that I have played it I understand. It combines an RPG with deck-building and has a ton of theme. It is also really fun solo.
What games did you try for the first time in 2013? Add your picks and thoughts on my selections in the comments section.
Tagged With top ten