Board game reviews, strategy tips & session reports
First let me give my quick definition of a deck building game. In a deck building game you add cards to your deck that you then continue to play with and build. Next be sure to note that this list does not contain deck builders that I have not played, but if I have heard good things about them they are listed in the Honorable Mentions.
10. Assault on Galactus Prime – You must run the gauntlet and destroy the Ion Supercannon. The components hurt this one a bit but it is fun and fairly strategic.
9. Core Worlds – You build your army to expand your space empire and try to score the most VPs. It is fun but can be frustrating to miss out on cards you spend a turn setting up to get only to have the player before you take the card you geared up to get.
8. Puzzle Strike – You use tokens instead of cards in this Tetris-like game. It is a bit complex and the characters are unbalanced or it could be ranked higher.
7. Quarriors – This is another game that doesn’t use cards, but dice instead. It can be pretty random, but pretty fun too.
6. Pixel Lincoln – Unique gameplay and some creative use of old Abe make this a fun game. This simulates a side-scrolling video game but in card form.
5. Eminent Domain – This deck builder combines elements from Race for the Galaxy and Glory to Rome to create a fun space exploration game.
4. Ascension – You beat monsters and buy cards to claim an ever-dwindling pile of VPs. This game offers different paths to victory.
3. Nightfall – A little complex but not too hard once you get a handle on it. You must summon minions to hurt your opponents. The player with the least number of wounds in their deck wins. Fun and confrontational.
1. Dominion – The first and still the best. It may lack in theme a bit and be dry. But it is smooth, tight, easy to teach and a blast to play.
Honorable Mentions: For the Crown, Friday, Miskatonic School for Girls, Penny Arcade: Gamers vs Evil
Disagree or have some to add let me know in the comments.