Board game reviews, strategy tips & session reports
It has been another year and many new games were played this past year. Here is my list of the best board games I played for the first time in 2017. Not all of them were published in 2017 but that is when I first played them. Full game reviews can be read by clicking the game’s name (if I reviewed the game).
10. Ta-da – In this fun and wacky party game you roll dice to cast spells before your opponents.
9. Orleans – This bag-building game takes a couple plays to get a good grasp on, but once you do that it is a lot of fun.
8. Quantum – You use dice as ships in this fun, combat oriented, area control board game.
7. Concordia – This is a classic Eurogame of resource management, add in some hand management and board positioning, and you have a fun and tense board game.
6. Safranito – A dexterity game where you flick or throw disks to get ingredients. Then turn them into recipes that win you the game.
5. Adrenaline – This game simulates a first person shooter and uses aspects of area control with the damage you deal.
4. TMNT: Shadows of the Past – A miniatures skirmish game with a unique dice-sharing mechanic. This is a fun, one-vs-all game with a well-made campaign mode.
3. Star Wars: Rebellion – This is an epic asymmetrical game where the Empire searches for the Rebellion while they try to blow up the Death Star and eradicate them.
2. Istanbul – This is like a worker placement game but requires some positioning and planning. As you move your worker you leave an assistant on a space and get that action. All in a race fgor rubies.
1. Codenames: Duet – A 2-player version of this excellent party game. It is fun and challenging with a couple different ways to play and enjoy.